A gasser is a helicopter that uses an internal combustion engine running on regular gasoline (petrol, motor gasoline or aviation gasoline). Typically these are two stroke engines, and so must have lubricating oil (usually bought separately) mixed in with the fuel, unlike nitro fuel which usually comes premixed with oil. Gassers consume much less fuel (and the fuel is much cheaper) than an equivalent nitro helicopter, and do not tend to leave so much oily residue over the airframe.
Gasser engines are spark ignition, with the spark either coming from a magneto (generator) attached to the crankshaft as part of the engine, or by using electronic ignition with power supplied by an external battery.
Gasser engines often do not require a starter motor, instead using a pull-start (recoil starter) than can be unclipped when the engine is running. This helps keep the equipment needed at the field to a minimum. Some users run a small generator off the engine to charge their flight pack and so do not even need to charge the avionics battery!
However, gas engines are not without their downsides. Gasser engines are typically heavier and create more vibration than an equivalent powered nitro engine. Gas engines tend to run substantially slower than nitro engines, and so require a different gear ratio to drive the main and tail rotor. This can also make reliably engaging a centrifugal clutch difficult. Additionally, gasser engines run somewhat hotter than nitro engines, thus making good cooling critical; this is exacerbated by the engine running slower, thus turning the cooling fan slower.
Others include (may not be suitable for helicopter use):
- Just Engines J'EN;
- Evolution Engines;
- FTL Thor 45cc engine;
- Force DZY engines;
- Saito four-stroke engines;
- Webra (main site);
- AirStar International Mongoose and Evolution;
- Bergen Intrepid Gasser (& variants);
- Century Predator Gasser & Condor Gasser;
- Century RADIKAL 50-sized helicopter;
- JR Ergo Z230;
- JR Voyager GSR260Z;
- Miniature Aircraft Spectra G;
- Quick-WorldWide Octane Bat;
- RealHeli Maxum;
- SONIX Eagle 260 (not yet available);
- TSA Model Petrol-26 (not yet available);
- Hirobo Bell 47G;
- Vario XLV Benzin;
- HeliBug gasser conversions for Align T-Rex 600 & 700 helicopters; JS Model TZ90-V2 Gasser Conversions
- Helibug Spark Helibug RC Conversion for Spectra-G
- GASSERMAN Gasser conversions for Raptor an T-REX helicopters;
- Vario mechanics for various gassers.
- There are strong rumors that there is a Align T-Rex 700 Gasser in development.
- Vario Benzin review on Rotory.
- 'Jewel' generator.
- Stator Gator engine tacho, for use with a governor.
- Raja Bortcosh files one of his gassers on LiveVideo.
- Century Predator Gasser doing 3D on YouTube (originally Helifreak).
- Helibug HB7-RC Trex700 Conversion doing 3D on YouTube.
- Helibug HB6-RCT7 Trex600 Conversion w/ Zenoah G270RC Engine doing 3D on YouTube.
- Helibug Gasser Conversions Forum
- Helibug SPARK RC Conversion for Spectra-G on YouTube.
Share your opinion