From RC Helicopter Wiki
Night flying is a fun variation to normal flying, done (unsurprisingly) at night, and using a variety of different technologies to light up the helicopter and keep it visible.
Lighting methods include:
- Night blades
- Main blades containing light-emitting diodes (LEDs) and small batteries that allow the rotor disk to be seen.
- Electric glow string
- Special wire that glows when fed with a high frequency, high voltage, low current electricity from a glow string driver powered by 5-15V (depending on the driver).
- Chemical glow string
- Chemical glow strings contain a small glass phial that cause the entire string to glow for several hours once broken. Cheaply available from Ebay.
- Luminescent items
- Items made from luminescent plastic (such as K&B tail blades) and illuminated with ultraviolet (UV) LEDs.
- Your helicopter will look substantially different at night. Make sure you recognize the different orientations well before flying.
- Ensure that the flying area is free of obstructions, including trees and people.
- Don't forget you will need some lighting at ground level in order to set up and start your helicopter.
- Chemical glow string is very useful for indicating the landing area, and the flight line.
Share your opinion