Drop me a line here and don't forget to add ~~~~ (that's four tildes) at the end. That will automatically sign and date stamp your message.
Kitsched 18:03, 30 June 2008 (UTC)
Hi Kitsched. Congratulations on getting your new wiki set up. You're welcome to copy this template and adapt it for pages here that you've taken from Wikipedia or Wikia (like this one). You need to note on the page that the original content was GFDL if that's the not the main license of this wiki (which isn't quite clear yet since the edit page says something different to the copyrights page). If you'd prefer to be a Wikia site, we'd be happy to offer you free hosting, as well as promotion on related sites like the RC Wiki. Angela 06:26, 3 July 2008 (UTC)
- I can't give legal advice, but there are a couple of options if the page is edited significantly and you don't want to keep the template on forever. One would be to mention in an edit summary where the content was previously from so people can still see that when they look into the page history. Another would be to cite the original page as a reference in a ==Sources== section rather than using a template.
- I didn't mean that you need to mention the GFDL and use the template. I meant that the template is one way of doing this.
- Good luck with the wiki. Do let me know if you'd like to move to Wikia and make use of the additional features and skins that we have available there. Angela 08:33, 3 July 2008 (UTC)
Hi! Congratulations on setting up this badly-needed wiki. I have toyed with the idea multiple times, but have never managed to do anything about it.
There are quite a few helicopter forums out there that serve the purpose of discussion and chat well, but in general are badly organized for long term reference information. I believe this site could easily fill that need, even if in some cases it only needs to index information that exists elsewhere, as finding it is often at least half the battle.
I've never really edited wikis before, so feel free to correct me when I deviate from the normal protocol.
unwind-protect 19:03, 27 September 2008 (UTC)
I hope it grows. An RC heli wiki is seriously needed. There's tonnes of knowledge lying around on website forums. I wish all of that could be moved here. Hopefully with time it will. Good luck. For the anti spam there are various anti spam extensions available on the mediawiki site. --Alan-31 02:36, 28 October 2008 (UTC)
Those anon bots are spamming a lot. If thats bugging you a lot, there's this extension available which gives a maths captcha if somoene tries to add a URL. On that page, you'll see talk about a variable "$ceAllowConfirmedEmail" which wont let email confirmed users to be effected by the Captcha, so you and unwind protect and anyone else who confirms their email, wont be effected if they've confirmed their emails. One more thing: keep atleast a monthly backup in case anything goes wrong. -- Alan-31 03:33, 17 November 2008 (UTC)
- Will try said extension. I'm making backups usually at most every two weeks. Thanks for your continued feedback and help, Alan! -- Kitsched 17:29, 17 November 2008 (UTC)
- Great to hear you're making backups! That way we can get it back if anything happens. --Alan-31 03:54, 18 November 2008 (UTC)
Good to see you around again. I was hoping what we might be able to do was change the category talk:weblogs page to some auto-ban script, as at least the bots were keeping their damaged focussed in one place! -- unwind-protect 16:09, 12 March 2009 (UTC)
Captain's log: 2009.03.18 - Installed the reCAPTCHA extension
Let's see if there'll be more spam. I'm pretty confident there won't be, because wherever I installed this plugin spam and bogus user subscriptions died out. There's of course the manual Nigerian spam / scam but that's much easier to fight than some bots and it's mostly present on forums, I don't think they've figured out wikis yet. Sorry for my absence, as you may have found out it has been quite a hectic period of my life. -- Kitsched 07:25, 18 March 2009 (UTC)
- I presume this uses some heurisitc to determine if the content is spam, as my quick unlogged-in test when through without any extra prompts. Good stuff! -- unwind-protect 12:29, 18 March 2009 (UTC)
- Further details on the forum ;) -- Kitsched 13:17, 18 March 2009 (UTC)
Hi! I found out about this site through Unwind-Protect who is also active at Eflightwiki. I'm not as heavily into helis as I am fixed-wing, but I enjoy contributing to small wikis like this one. Anyway, I thought I'd drop by and let you know that no, I'm not a spammer. :) --Electric Eggbeater 19:26, 19 March 2011 (UTC)
PS: Let me know if you can use an administrator. It looks as if your site is getting spammed quite a bit and I have plenty of experience as a bureaucrat as well as an administrator. --Electric Eggbeater 07:14, 23 March 2011 (UTC)
- Hi, thanks for your offer, please contact me on Facebook so we can discuss further. -- Kitsched 06:26, 28 March 2011 (UTC)
- I don't have a Facebook account at present, but I've considered creating a business-oriented account in the near future. I'll give you a yell once I get something up and running. Hoping to be able to help around here real soon. :) --Electric Eggbeater 17:01, 26 March 2011 (UTC)
- Hi, Kitsched. I still don't have a Facebook account, but my e-mail is active if you'd like to contact me re. a possible adminship. If you'd prefer, I will gladly put you in touch with an expert who can help you with installing up-to-date spam filters. --Electric Eggbeater 22:48, 18 April 2011 (UTC)
- Looks as if you're still getting clobbered by the spam ranges. I really believe that I can be of help as can the expert I mentioned. Hoping to hear from you soon. --Electric Eggbeater 16:13, 21 April 2011 (UTC)
- PS: I noticed that Angela Beesley contacted you early on. There is no better "wiki worker" on the internet. She is the greatest. I'm sure that she can offer help as well. --Electric Eggbeater 16:15, 21 April 2011 (UTC)
Problem with new article
Hi, K. I just did a C&P of a Creative Commons-licensed article from Eflightwiki and while it shows up in the edit history and recent changes, I get a "File Not Found" notice when I try to bring it up. There were a couple of external links, I got the CAPTCHA notice when I tried to save it, I typed in the words and that's when the problem began. Thought you should know. Cheers, --Electric Eggbeater 16:14, 27 April 2011 (UTC)
- It probably has to do with the name of the article -- Kitsched 07:25, 2 May 2011 (UTC)
- I saw you gave him an answer. -- Kitsched 07:25, 2 May 2011 (UTC)
- Such as it was. :) BTW, you were right about the new article. I think the "R/C" part is what was messing it up. I just posted it under a revised title and it showed up fine. --Electric Eggbeater 15:35, 3 May 2011 (UTC)
Still getting spammed...
Hi, Kitched. Please drop me an e-mail if I can be of help to you as an administrator. I will happily put you in touch with another wiki user who can hook you up with spam filters. Hoping to hear from you soon. Electric Eggbeater 19:29, 16 June 2011 (UTC)
Spam free at last! Nice job, bro. Thanks for adding me to the editors' list. --Electric Eggbeater 16:14, 18 August 2011 (UTC)
Gee, I'm glad that I swung by! It looks as if you've been incredibly busy. Thanks for taking a moment to drop me a line. Now that things are under control, I'll start contributing again. --Electric Eggbeater (talk) 02:08, 17 January 2013 (EET)
- Well, I'm certainly glad you dropped by. The new CAPTCHA seems to be doing its job quite effectively and the spam came down to something like one bogus edit per two weeks, which is a really good ratio, at least compared to my past struggles. Welcome back and looking forward for your future contributions! 220.127.116.11 07:54, 17 January 2013 (EET)
I did what the CAPTCHA told me to do since that article I copied from Eflightwiki had external links and it still wouldn't let me post the links. No big deal, but the links would be helpful. Thanks. :) --Electric Eggbeater (talk) 18:57, 29 January 2013 (EET)
- Hmmm, strange. I should upgrade you to an editor - so the CAPTCHA won't pop up for you. --Kitsched (talk) 19:28, 29 January 2013 (EET)
Thank you VERY much for the privilege of allowing me to help out as a bureaucrat. I'll be more than happy to clobber spammers with these new tools. In the meantime, I'll see what I can do to expand some of the thinner articles before I add anything new. --Electric Eggbeater (talk) 20:40, 4 February 2013 (EET)
- You got it. I hope the problems aren't too great. Thoughts and prayers with you! --Electric Eggbeater (talk) 20:09, 6 February 2013 (EET)
I can't insert external links.
The text says this:
Your edit includes new external links. To help protect against automated spam, please solve the simple sum below and enter the answer in the box (more info):
Please select all the cat photos:
There's no "simple sum below".
I select all the cats, press "Save page", but the same text reappears, with different cats.
I tried with Firefox with a lot of extensions and then with IE and Chrome with default installations.
I tried to register and logon, to no avail.
I have no idea of how a Talk page works, my username is "Ormywor", I'm the main author of the "Walkera Super CP" page. 23 October 2013.
Share your opinion